As the summer ends, collect some lavender flowers and dry them to make lavender bags. They smell lovely and are great to give as presents.
What you’ll need
- Some thin material like muslin
How to make it
- Take a 15cm square of material.
- Using a CD or a flowerpot that’s around the same size, draw a circle onto the material.
- Take a pair of scissors and cut out the circle template, and 15cm of ribbon.
- Carefully take the flowers buds off 10 sprigs of lavender (it is better to harvest the flowers when they are in bud before the flowers open. These can be hung up and dried for use later).
- Place these in the centre of your circle of material, then bring the edges of the material together to form a pouch.
- Take the 15cm piece of ribbon and tie around the pouch.
- Your lavender bag can be used to fragrance a drawer or can be hung in a wardrobe to keep moths away from your clothes.
Originally published by rhs.org.uk
how’s it growing?
We want to know how your green-fingered exploits go – upload your photos and videos on social using #GrowWithJohn